Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Eternal Struggle with Argentine Tango

Started Argentine Tango more than several years ago with Teo and Marsha Bartek. When I came to town, I would stop by their teaching sessions.

At the time they were meeting downtown at Market Street Pub. They were dancing open embrace, which is typical ballroom style position. This was easy for me.

When I moved back to Gainesville in 2003, I started going to their weekly sessions at Emerald's and later at Orion Fitness. I also attended a weekend workshop at their house. Now they were doing Close Embrace, with the woman up against the man. This I could not do.

For three years, I could not take a single step in Argentine Tango. After dancing for more than two decades, that was how bad my balance for dancing was.

I danced like I played basketball and beach volleyball. Broad stance, deceptive movements, ability to change directions quickly. My defensive skills are useful for following. My natural movements as a leader, were the opposite of what they needed to be.

Started taking a class with Andrea Pham. She put a hand on my hip and another on my shoulder, leaned against me and would not let me move until I showed some sign of improvement.

The process was slow, but after a year and a half, last Wednesday I thought I had arrived. Elke and I had a great connection and a few wonderful dances. I was on theh top of my game. Felt like I had control of my balance throughout the length of every step.

Nope. Friday night I regressed.

At the University of Florida Tango Club, we danced several dances. It was more like stumbling. Worse, she needed steel toe shoes. Foolishing she had on open-toed high heels and I mangled her foot. Yes, I drew blood.

One step forward, one foot stepped on. The struggle continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment